If you are looking for a marshmallow creme recipe this recipe produces a delicious fluffy marshmallow. You can use this marshmallow recipe for toppings or filler for other dessert recipes. You will need a candy thermometer. It is not difficult to make and you should have good success if you follow the directions. This makes a sweet treat and you will want to lick the spoons and the bowl and not leave one speck behind! This marshmallow creme recipe gives you a great alternative to buying pre-made packaged marshmallow fluff.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (we used organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water (we used 1/8 cup water and 1/8 cup concentrated blackcurrent)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Tools: A candy thermometer
- Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water (or water/blackcurrent combination) in a small saucepan and bring up to a boil over high heat.
- Stir occasionally and boil until the syrup mixture reaches 240 degrees F. on the candy/oil thermometer.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl and using an electric mixer beat on medium speed until the egg whites form soft peaks. You will do this while the liquid mixture is boiling as you want to have the egg whites ready when your liquid reaches 240 degrees F. If you have them whipped before the syrup mixture is hot enough, just stop the mixer until the syrup is ready.
- When the syrup mixture reaches 240 degrees F., reduce the mixer speed to low.
- Using a metal tablespoon (not plastic), keep the beaters running and slowly drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the hot syrup into the egg white to warm them.
- Now drizzle a second tablespoon of hot syrup into the eggwhites, beating constantly.If you put too much syrup at once, the egg whites will scramble from the heat.
- Once that is done you can keep the beaters running and slowly drizzle in the remaining hot syrup mixture.
- Increase the speed to medium high and whip until the marshmallow creme is stiff and glossy. Beat for 7 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes. The mixture becomes a beautiful creamy marshmallow texture.
You can use immediately or keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.