This apple fritter recipe is so easy to make. The ingredients are very basic and simple and most people that do even a small amount of baking will have these ingredients on hand. The aroma alone will drive you crazy and it is pretty impossible not to eat the entire batch in one sitting. These apple fritters are best when they are fresh and slightly warm. There is also a glaze recipe. You can make the fritters without the glaze as well if you don’t want them to be quite as sweet.
- Apple Fritters Makes about 12 fritters
- 1 fresh apple
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg ( beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk
Makes a small batch of about 12 apple fritters)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk (more or less) to get runny consistency
(Makes a small batch of glaze that is enough to lightly coat the fritters)
- Deep frying Ingredients
Pure Virgin Coconut Oil
*Our preference is pure virgin coconut oil as it has good health qualities and a tolerance to high heat.
Coconut oil will cook the fritters cook to a golden brown and are they are not greasy.
As coconut oil is pricey, you can strain the oil once cooled and put into a glass sealed container, keep refrigerated and use again for deep frying.
*You can substitute a vegetable oil, such as sunflower or canola. Be careful not to get the oils smoking.
Deep frying thermometer, tongs & paper towels.
- Apple Fritters: Peel and grate the apple a small bowl.
- Measure and stir all the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork, add the grated apple and stir with a fork until combined.
- In a medium sized pot on the stove top, heat about 1-inch of coconut oil. Bring the temperature up to 350 degrees. This is very hot so be careful not to have it splash on your skin when cooking the fritters.
- Once the oil reaches temperature, drop the batter into the oil with tablespoon. You can shape the fritters as you are dropping in the batter. Cook the fritter until it is brown on the first side then using your tongs, flip them over and cook the other side. It will take about 3-4 minutes to cook through and it is fine to flip them more than once.
- Have a plate lined with paper towels ready and use your tongs to lift each fritter out and put onto the paper towel to drain. Continue until all the fritters are cooked.
- Glaze: Mix together the confectioners sugar, vanilla and add the milk in increments. Stir with a fork and add enough milk to give you a glazing consistency.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the glaze onto each fritter.