We attending a cooking course at a cooking school named ‘In Tavola‘ in Florence Italy and this is one of the dishes we prepared. It’s a great way to meet new people and learn some local cuisine from local chefs.
- 1 eggplant
- breadcrumbs, as needed
- 1 large Mozzarella cheese, sliced about 1/2″ thick
- 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- The ingredients as you see are not exact amounts as you will use more or less of each ingredient depending on how big/small each ingredient is.
- Wash the eggplant and cut into slices that are 1/4″ in thickness. Do not slice too thick. Have ready a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil onto the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer the eggplant slices onto the sheet without stacking and drizzle more olive oil on the top. Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper onto the slices. Place into a preheated oven 400° and bake for 45-60 minutes until tender. Once cooked, remove to a cooling rack and let them cool down.
- While the eggplant is baking prepare the tomatoes by slicing them into rounds 1/4″ thick. Remove the seeds and juice from the rounds and discard. Set the slices aside.
- You will be using finely crushed bread crumbs. To make your own breadcrumbs, just toast a couple slices of bread, let cool then put into a blender. Pulse grind until they are fine and transfer to a small bowl.
- To assemble the eggplant caprese, lightly oil the small baking dishes, either by spraying on your olive oil or you could put a drizzle and rub it around to coat the bottom and sides. You oil the dishes so the breadcrumbs will stick. Put a portion of breadcrumbs into each baking vessel and be sure to form a fine layer of crumbs on the bottom and sides of the dish. Dump out the extra crumbs, you only want to make a thin layer.
- Put a layer of eggplant, followed by a layer of tomato, a layer of mozzarella cheese, and a basil leaf. Repeat the process and end with a layer of eggplant on the top.
- Place into a preheated oven at 375° bake for 5-8 minutes until heated through. Remove and let sit for a few minutes to rest. Use a small knife to go around the edges to loosen, then take your serving plate and you will want to put it on top of the baked dish as a cover then flip so that the eggplant transfers onto the plate without falling apart.
- Garnish each plate with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and chopped basil.