This is one of our most favorite ‘Go To’ recipes for birthday events. It is easy to put together and it is popular with the little children and the adults. Nothing ever gets thrown away from this dessert.
- 2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
Cream Filler Layer:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 pasteurized egg OR *Please check below for alternatives if you do not want to use raw eggs (we used cornstarch as the replacement in our filling)
- 2 bananas sliced thinly
- (1) 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained very well
- 2 cups finely sliced fresh strawberries (plus extras that you can leave whole for garnish)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
*Alternatives for pasteurized raw eggs
2 Tablespoons cornstarch = 1 egg
2 Tablespoons arrowroot flour = 1 egg
2 Tablespoons potato starch = 1 egg
1 heaping Tablespoon soy powder + 2 Tablespoons water = 1 egg
1 banana = 1 egg in baking cakes
- Mix together graham crumbs with butter, press into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pie plate.
*Note: You can have the crust as is, or you can preheat the oven to 350°F. and bake for 12-14 minutes if you prefer a more crispy crust. Remove and let cool.
Either way place the crust into the refrigerator to chill for an hour before proceeding with the other layers.
- For the creamy layer, In a stand mixer bowl place the butter, confectioners’ sugar and egg or egg substitute. Using the paddle attachment on medium speed, beat until smooth, light yellow, and fluffy.
- Spread with a spatula into cooled pie crust.
- Next layer the sliced bananas, then the crushed pineapple on the bananas and the final layer(s) are the sliced strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator to cool.
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl that you have chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes. Using the whisk attachment beat until just stiff. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and mix in. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the whipped cream over the entire top.Garnish with fresh berries.