Apple Pie Filling:
This recipe will make enough filling to fill one deep 9 inch pie or 12 tarts.
You will also need to make Grandmother’s pie crust which is found here.
- 5-6 medium sized apples
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon butter, (cold)
- Prepare the unbaked pie crust according to the recipe for Grandmother’s pie crust rolling out both balls of dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash, peel,core and slice the apples evenly in 1/2 inch thin pieces. There are so many types of apples. We would like to suggest three good varieties of apples to use for apple pie. They are Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious and Pink Lady.
- Place the apple slices into a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
- Stir the mixture into the sliced apples.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and mix into the apples. The butter will melt while baking and add flavor.
- Fill the prepared pie crust with the apple filler.
- Roll out the second piece of dough large enough to fit over the filled pie.
- Carefully transfer the dough and cover the filling, being careful not to stretch it. Cut away extra dough, and and roll again to create decorative shapes of your choosing.
- Seal the top by pressing down the edges with a fork.To help prevent the filling from boiling over, poke the top crust in several spots with a fork. This will allow the steam to escape.
Tip* Sometimes fruit pies will run over and make a mess in the oven. To avoid this, place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack just below the rack that the pie is baking on. Never place foil on the very bottom of the oven.
- Place the pie onto the middle rack in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then turn the heat down to 350°F and bake for another 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
If the crust is browning too quickly, tent with a piece of aluminum foil. Let the pie cool so the filling can set before slicing.