- 2 large ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
* Buttermilk substitution: Add 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir and use in replacement of buttermilk.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan or 9×9 inch cake pan with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together bananas, buttermilk and baking soda. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter with brown sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and banana mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture until combined.
- Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes in a 9×9 inch pan, or if using a loaf pan, around 50- 60 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted in the center that comes out clean indicates that it is done.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack and let cool completely before cutting.
Please follow and like us: