This sauce that we prepared at the ‘In Tavola‘ cooking school in Florence, Italy was so basic to make and just delicious! We ate it with the homemade gnocchi dish that we also prepared for the feast!
- 1 canned peeled tomatoes or 1 kg fresh tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 5 whole cloves garlic
- 5-6 whole basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In this class we used canned tomatoes. If you were using fresh, you would remove the skins from the tomatoes first.
- Break up the tomatoes either by hand or with a knife.
- Use a frying pan and pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom about. (1cm or about 1/4-1/2 inch)
- Add the garlic to the oil and heat/cook over medium-high heat until the garlic begins to brown.
- Carefully add the tomatoes as the oil is hot along with salt & pepper to taste and the basil leaves and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Check the flavor after 5 minutes and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the garlic cloves before serving.