At the ‘in Tavola’ cooking school in Florence Italy we made this yummy dish!
- 30 g. Butter, divided
- 2 Tablespoons extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery , minced
- 700 g. diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium size zucchini
- All purpose flour as needed
- 100 g. Mozzarella cheese
- A few fresh basil leaves chopped
- A sprig of fresh parsley chopped
- 30 g. breadcrumbs, amount as needed
- 30 g. Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 400F (200C).
- To mince the carrots and celery cut first in Julienne style then cut the long thin strips into very small uniform size pieces,
- To Make the sauce fry the minced onion and celery in half of the butter(15g) and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until softened (5 to 8 minutes); add diced tomato, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over low geat for 15-20 minutes then shut off.
- To prepare the zucchini Cut off the ends of zucchini and slice into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Dredge zucchini slices in flour and fry in a skillet in hot olive oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and put aside.
- Another method is to lightly oil a baking pan with olive oil and layer the dredged zucchini pieces in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle them.
- We made this dish in individual ramekins but you can also do the process in one larger baking dish.
- To assemble either in the ramekins or baking dish first put a layer of tomato sauce followed by a layer of zucchini then a thin layer of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and parsley. Continue layering until all the ingredients have been used ending with zucchini on top.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top and bake 20-25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- If using ramekins you can remove the zucchini Parmesan by cutting around the edge of the dishes and flipping them directly onto each serving dish or serve them in the dishes.